10 Must-Have Camping Essentials
Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links and at no additional cost to you, I may earn a commission. Know that I only recommend products, tools, services and learning resources I’ve personally used and believe are genuinely helpful, not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to purchase them. Most of all, I would never advocate for buying something that you can’t afford or that you’re not yet ready to implement.
- Fire Starter– Not only do we pack matches for camping but we also like to bring a Magnesium Fire Starter. I’m pretty sure they’re many people out there like us, competing against your spouse in a fire making challenge like the final 4 of Survivor. It’s a ton of fun, especially because I win every time. I challenge you to try it with your spouse next time you go camping. I would love to find out how it went.
The Friendly Swede Magnesium Flint Fire Starter – 3 Pack – Survival Firesteel Blocks with Striker, Camping Emergency Equipment
- Wine Opener– Who doesn’t want a glass of dark Cab or a sweet Riesling by a camp fire? That sounds good until you notice that you forgot to bring the wine opener. Well, have you ever tried opening a wine bottle without the corkscrew? It took me a while to realize that it wasn’t a good idea.
Outdoor Camping Portable Carabiner Bottle Opener with Wine Corkscrew – Key Clip – Keychain Carabiner – Key Hook – best gift for Father’s Day.
- Kirkland Signature (Costco) Baby Wipes– After having tres ninos, I’ve realized, Kirkland Signature baby wipes are the BEST. I bring this everywhere I go! Love that it’s unscented and gentle on skin. All the mama’s out there, what is your favorite brand of baby wipes? Bum or no bum, I clean almost everything with this.
Kirkland Signature Baby Wipes 900 Count
- Inflatable Lounger Air Sofa Hammock– GREAT for camping! This comes in handy when there are no trees to put up the hammock. It’s relaxing- read a book, watch kids play, or take a nap!
WEKAPO Inflatable Lounger Air Sofa Hammock-Portable,Water Proof& Anti-Air Leaking Design-Ideal Couch for Backyard Lakeside Beach Traveling Camping Picnics & Music Festivals
- Tablecloth/cover– Tablecloths makes campsites more beautiful and home-like. In addition, it helps cover dirty picnic tables and protect your kiddos from touching it. For me, this is the most annoying part of camping. Crow feces. Have you heard of The Poopmaster 6000? Haha, no joke, this is a giant machine that cleans up bird droppings in downtown Portland. It’s managed by PMMI (Portland Mall Management, Inc). As crows thrive around people, you’ll most likely run into them in the PNW!
59 x 84 in Mexican Tablecloth for Mexican Party Wedding Decorations, Mexican Saltillo Serape Blanket Bed Blanket Outdoor Table Cover Table Cloth Tapestry Blanket Picnic Mat
- Machete- We make our own kindling when we go camping- this is a great tool to use to chop down wood in little pieces.
Gerber Gator Machete – Black w/ Nylon Sheath [31-000758]
- Kitchen Scissors– Growing up in a Korean household, my mother used to use kitchen scissors to cut EVERYTHING. It might sound crazy to think someone uses SCISSORS to cut up their food but it works great. It’s not very common to use scissors in the Western culture but it is very popular for Asian cultures.
Kitchen Shears, Acelone Premium Heavy Duty Shears Ultra Sharp Stainless Steel Multi-function Kitchen Scissors for Chicken/Poultry/Fish/Meat/Vegetables/Herbs/BBQ
- Medications/Vitamins– A lot of people take medications and vitamins on a daily basis. Forgetting your pills at home for some people can be devastating, especially if you’ve drove many hours and you notice that you forgot to pack your blood pressure meds. You can find different types of pill organizer on Amazon. I organize my medications in a ziplock bag as most children’s meds come in a liquid form. I bring the basics; children’s Tylenol and kids anti-histamine. For as needed meds like pain, meletonin, and antacids, I put them all in one small pill container that’s child proof.
- Hammock– After a long day of hiking and camping, nothing beats relaxing in a hammock. I bought my hammock at Costco but here is one on Amazon very similar to mine.
Legit Camping – Double Hammock – Lightweight Parachute Portable Hammocks for Hiking, Travel, Backpacking, Beach, Yard Gear Includes Nylon Straps & Steel Carabiners (Graphite/Seagreen)
- First Aid Kit– As a nurse, you have to be prepared for the worst. For me, this is a must bring item. How could a mom who is a nurse forget to pack something simple as a band-aid?